The North Dakota University System (NDUS) offers health insurance coverage to international NDUS students through United Healthcare insurance company.
All international students are required to have health insurance in place and verified as per Policy 505
but in some cases, an international student is able to secure a waiver from the NDUS health insurance plan. To learn more about the waiver criteria and process, please click here
International students are automatically enrolled by semester in the student health insurance plan by their institution. A student may opt-in to NDUS health insurance coverage prior to automatic enrollment to expedite confirmation of coverage. The premium cost is billed to the international student's campus connection account. If an international student wants to waive this health insurance coverage, comparable coverage must be in place and verified through the waiver process. Click here
to learn more. WSC'S International Health Insurance Procedure
outlines payment requirements.
All full-time undergraduate and graduate students, actively taking classes on campus, are eligible to enroll. "Full-time" is defined as:
- Undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours each semester
- Additionally, eligible students who enroll may insure their dependents as well. Eligible dependents are the student's legal spouse/domestic partner and dependent children under 26 years of age. The student must be enrolled in order to access an enrollment opportunity for dependents
- Students eligible for this insurance plan must be actively attending class in person. Students that are primarily enrolled in online courses, home study programs, or correspondence courses do not fulfill the eligibility requirements.
- This list is not exhaustive; each applicant must review the insurance policy information and base eligibility determinations upon that review. If a student is found to be ineligible for the policy, United Healthcare will remove the student from the policy. If you have questions if you are eligible or not, please contact Katie Fitzsimmons at the NDUS Office.
- If you have questions about the Spring/Summer 2019 coverage, please contact Kaylyn Bondy at email@example.com
Plan Coverage Periods and Premiums
To add a spouse and/or dependent, the rate and coverage periods are the same as the student rate.
Annual (August 16, 2019-August 15, 2020): $1978.00
Fall (August 16, 2019 - December 31, 2019): $746.00
Spring/Summer (January 1, 2020-August 15, 2020): $1,232.00
Domestic students (i.e. American citizens) are not required by the NDUS to carry coverage; however, the Affordable Care Act does require that you carry some sort of health insurance. If you would like assistance with selecting health insurance, please contact Katie Fitzsimmons
at the NDUS Office.
Navigating the topic of health insurance can be challenging. Students may consult the Health Insurance Marketplace at HealthCare.gov
to select an alternate plan and information. Students can contact Maureen Potucek, UND Student Health Services Insurance Coordinator free of charge (not just UND students) who need alternative medical insurance. She welcomes the opportunity to help navigate the Health Insurance Marketplace and/or assist you in finding health insurance coverage or medical assistance that meets your needs. Maureen Potucek 701.777.3457
United Healthcare Contact Information:
United Healthcare Customer Service
WSC Campus Health Insurance Contact:
WSC Student Affairs